Hot Pepper & Onion Pizza
Family pizza night might be one of North America's most recognized at-home pastimes. Although it’s convenient to get a pie delivered right to your doorstep, nothing tops a good ol’ fashioned homemade ‘za. Not only is it a fun tradition to take part in, but using fresh authentic ingredients will have your household counting down the days until next pizza night.
This recipe has a bit of a kick to it, and we have Terroni Peperoncini Piccanti to thank for that. Believe us when we say that there is no better way to authenticate your homemade pizzas than to incorporate these peppers, imported straight from Italy. (If you’re feeling even more adventurous, you could always make your own tomato sauce using Terroni Pomodori Pelati- but we’ll leave that decision up to you!).
There are a couple of important tips to consider in order to perfect this recipe. All homemade pizzas taste the best when using a pizza stone- if you don’t have one, don’t worry. Just assemble your pizza on top of parchment paper. While you’re working your magic with the toppings, pop your baking sheet in the oven while it’s preheating. Once you’re ready to cook, plop the parchment with the pizza onto the baking sheet. This will give your crust the jump start it needs to become the perfect amount of crispy.
Another thing that’s worth mentioning is the heat of your oven. You want to set it to 500 if you can, but most standard ovens can only reach up to about 475 so that also works. And now you’re ready to make some mouthwatering homemade pizzas!
- Flour, for surface
- 1 lb. pizza dough, at room temperature
- Cornmeal, for baking sheet
- 1/2 oz. extra-sharp cheddar, coarsely grated
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow pepper, sliced
- 4 tbsp Terroni peppers (or more, if you like bringing the heat!)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Heat oven to heat to 475°F
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the pizza dough into a 14-in. oval. Place on a cornmeal-dusted or parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle Cheddar over top.
- In a large bowl, toss sliced onion and peppers with olive oil and 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Scatter over the dough.
- Place the garnished pizza into the oven to bake until the crust is golden brown (about 10 to 12 minutes)
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Cut it up, and let the family enjoy!