Their story begins in 1942 in the heart of Montreal’s Jewish garment district. Newlyweds Hymie & Freda Sckolnick purchased Bancroft Snack Bar on the corner of Mont Royal West & St. Urbain. They began serving Freda’s quick and delicious lunches during the week. The locals loved it so much that they started to bring their families on the weekend. And the Montreal brunch was born.